The ICG (International Commission on Glass) is a non-profit international Society of national scientific and technical organisations with particular interests in glass science and technology. It was founded in 1933 and has grown to become the recognised world-wide organisation in the field of glass with presently 37 member organisations bringing together the world’s most respected universities, scientific institutions, companies of the glass industry and allied organisations.
The aim of ICG is to promote and stimulate understanding and cooperation between glass experts in the fields of science and technology as well as art, history and education.
The ICG achieves these objectives by organising Technical Committee work (e.g. laboratory round robins, comparative studies, topical meetings), compiling information on glass (e.g. publishing scientific and technical papers, reports and books) and by sharing and disseminating knowledge on glass in advanced educational courses and workshops. A further major role is to organise international meetings. Every three years the ICG holds an International Congress on Glass while Annual Conferences take place during the intervening period often in conjunction with national society meetings.
The ICG is financed by subscriptions from Member Organisations set in proportion to the annual glass output of the respective countries. Additional income arises from Associate Member Organisations, the sale of publications and royalties.
ICG also gains considerably from contributions ’in kind’ from individual members of the administrative team and technical committees who give freely of their time and effort.
The International Commission on Glass has operated successfully for 8 decades. During this period it has welcomed many new member organisations. Numerous well-known glass scientists and technologists are involved in its organisation and it is run by a committed and experienced administration. Participating organisations in the ICG enjoy hands on experience and achievement through involvement in TC activities. Major benefits are gained from direct association between international glass experts in the fields of science and technology, art and education and through liaisons with related fields of technology such as optics, photonics, electronics, nanotechnology, coating technology, biotechnology, polymers and composites. An example of this interaction has been the recent development of research road maps for several key areas of interest.
The ICG is determined to continue its high standards of quality and performance.
For the future, it wishes to encourage:
- More national institutions to join as members,
- More individuals to serve on ICG committees,
- Proposals for the establishment of new technical committees on pertinent topics,
- Continue its work on road mapping to help focus future research activities.
The close collaboration between the Society of Glass Technology in Sheffield and the German Society of Glass Technology in Frankfurt/Main, which was established in the mid-twenties, can be viewed as a forerunner to the creation of the ICG. Both societies held their first joint meeting in 1928 and entered systematic technical committee work on the definition of terms used in the technological literature and the standardization of methods relating to: the determination of thermal expansion; chemical durability of glasses; and of testing refractory materials.
Joint Meeting of Society of Glass Technology and German Society of Glass Technology in Aachen 1928
Dr. H. Maurach, Dr. M. von Vopelius, W. Butterworth,
Prof. G.R. Gehlhoff and Prof. W.E.S. Turner (from left to right)
The driving forces of this first international collaboration were Prof. William E.S.Turner (1881-1963), Head of the Department of Glass Technology in Sheffield, a position which he held from 1915 until 1945, and Prof. Georg R. Gehlhoff (1882 -1931), Member of the Board of Directors of OSRAM in Berlin and Head of the Glass Laboratory at Weiswasser. After Gehlhoff’s early death in 1931, Dr. Heinrich Maurach, Managing Director of the German Society of Glass Technology (DGG), together with Turner continued to pursue the idea of initiating a larger body of international collaboration.
The ICG constitution was finalized in conjunction with the first ICG Congress on Glass held at Venice in September 1933 and was signed by the following representatives: J. Antonio De Artigas (Spain), J.C. Hostetter (USA), B. Long (France), H. Maurach (Germany), A. Mauri (Italy) and W.E.S. Turner (England).
Prof. Turner was elected as the first President of the ICG, a position which he held until 1953; Dr. Maurach served as the first Honorary Secretary until 1950. Prof. Turner and Dr. Maurach are considered to be the founding fathers of the ICG.
Dr. Maurach had hoped to organize the III. ICG Congress in Berlin in September 1939. Due to the outbreak of World War II the planned Congress never took place. The venue of the first ICG Congress after the War was Venice in 1953.
Further details of the ICG History can be found in the ICG Publications: ICG 2000 "History and Vision" and "Winds of Change".
International Congress on Glass in London and Sheffield, 1936
First row: Dr. J.M. Mühlig (CZ), F.C. Flint (USA), Dr. H. Maurach (Germany), Dr. K. Mey (Germany), Prof. W.E.S. Turner (UK),
B.P. Dudding (UK), Prof. J.A. de Artigas (Spain), E. Meigh (UK), Dr. J.C. Hostetter (USA), Dr. B. Long (France) (from left to right):
|1933-1953||Prof. W.E.S. Turner (UK)||1984-1985||Prof. V. Gottardi (IT)|
|1953-1959||B.P. Dudding (UK)||1985-1988||Dr. W.R. Prindle (US)|
|1959-1961||H.R. Lillie (US)||1988-1991||Dr. J.P. Causse (FR)|
|1961-1961||N. von Bülow (DE)||1991-1994||Prof. J. Petzoldt (DE)|
|1962-1963||Prof. A. Dietzel (DE)||1994-1997||Prof. N. Soga (JP)|
|1963-1966||Dr. B. Long (FR)||1997-2000||Prof. L.D. Pye (US)|
|1966-1969||Prof. J.M. Stevels (NL)||2000-2003||Prof. H.A. Schaeffer (DE)|
|1969-1972||Prof. N.J. Kreidl (US)||2003-2006||Mrs. A. Yaraman (TR)|
|1972-1975||Prof. R.W. Douglas (UK)||2006-2009||Dr. H. Arribart (FR)|
|1975-1978||Prof. J. Stanek (CZ)||2009-2012||Dr. F. Nicoletti (IT)|
|1978-1981||P. Gilard (BE)||2012-||Prof. Peng Shou (CN)|
|1981-1984||Prof. H. Scholze (DE)|
Chairmen of The Coordinating Technical Committee
|1957-1965||Prof. J. M. Stevels (NL)||1987-1992||Prof. H. A. Schaeffer (DE)|
|1965-1972||Prof. E. Plumat (BE)||1992-1997||A. Yaraman (TR)|
|1972-1977||Prof. H. Scholze (DE)||1997-2004||Prof. H. de Waal (NL)|
|1977-1982||Dr. G. P. Smith (US)||2004-2009||Dr. K. Bange (DE)|
|1982-1987||Prof. H. Rawson (UK)||2009-||Prof R Vacher (FR)|
The image shows, from the left: Leena Hupa (member, TC04), our honorary treasurer, Prof Alicia Duran (Management Board), Gülcin Albayrak (outgoing member of CTC) and Hande Sesigur (Gülcin's replacement on the CTC from 2011). The photograph was taken during one of the breaks at the ICG annual conference in Shenzhen, March 2011.